Dave Burke's Work
Dave Burke is a leader of web product design and operation with experience at major media brands. He has a broad background in marketing, creative, technology and management, and is an expert in user experience design.
Web product management. Led the design, development, and operation of web products at The Washington Post, including e-commerce, community, and customer self service.
Resource management and team productivity. Supervised both user experience and technical resources on web team; gave coaching and feedback to staff members; improved overall productivity and reliability in delivering multiple concurrent projects on time and budget.
Agile project management. Implemented agile processes (primarily Scrum) for web product development at The Washington Post. He has played multiple roles on agile teams, including ScrumMaster and Product Owner.
Corporate Executive Board, Arlington, VA
Director, Online Experience: Led UX in a firm-wide website redesign, including the implementation of new information architecture, visual design, improved search, and the addition of new applications.
- Conducted user research and testing; analyzed results and presented to senior management.
- Managed interaction and visual design for numerous site enhancements including registration, sign in, and new content offerings.
- Presented site strategy to internal stakeholders and other employee groups
- Acted as product manager for new web application responsible for significant growth in customer visits and content consumption (over 10% in the first post-launch quarter).
The Washington Post, Washington, DC
Started as a copywriter in the Marketing Creative Services group, then steadily moved up to more responsible, more web-focused positions. Most recently:
Manager, Web Solutions (2004-2009): Led a team of 13 — designers, information architects, and developers — in the design, construction, maintenance, and measurement of Washington Post web products, and ensure that products meet business and user goals.
- Presented strategy and metrics to senior management (including VP and President) which informed successful web product prioritization and roadmapping
- Initiated and oversaw user research to align web product packages and pricing with user expectations
- Led usability testing resulting in higher conversion rate and revenue through classified ad placement application
Online Creative Manager/Information Architect (2000-2003): Designed Washington Post web products. Oversaw design and development of new content; managed freelance writers, designers, and The Post's ad agency to deliver projects on time and on budget; advised business departments on matters of user experience and internet marketing.
- Designed e-commerce applications for both Circulation and Advertising departments
- Designed and developed microsites to support special editorial and advertising sections
- Managed the design and development of The Washington Post's online store